Top News Stories In CNY
Where The News Comes First! Those are the words we live by. For sixty years, Central New York has turned to WKTV for news and information. The station has been a part of many major news stories in Central New York that define what it is.
Our newsroom will be taking a look back at some of these major news events:
1. June 5, 1993 – The Oneida Indian Nation gets the OK from the US Dept. of Interior to open a casino. Turning Stone becomes an economic force in the community.
2. September 30, 1995 – The last B-52 takes off from GAFB ending the bases flying mission and changing the economics of the Mohawk Valley for generations to come.
3. August 18, 1993 – Sara Anne Wood disappears not far from her home near Frankfort. She is abducted by Louis Lent and killed. Her body is never found. Parents all across the Mohawk Valley change the way they watch their children and restrict their freedom of movement in a way they never had experienced before.
4. February 27, 2006 and April 12, 2007 – New Hartford Policeman Joseph Corr and Utica Policeman Thomas Lindsay are killed in the line of duty. The deaths of these officers wound the community by showing us that “it can happen here.”
5. Central New York Weather: