One of the four candidates vying for the 119th Assembly District seat this fall has been removed from the ballot.
The Oneida County Board of Elections commissioners confirmed Monday morning that Democratic candidate Christopher Salatino has been removed from the ballot. They say they received an order from state supreme court last Friday to remove him.
Salatino, who serves on the Utica City School District Board of Education and owns a claims adjusting business, would have faced Democratic candidate Marianne Buttenschon in a primary election next month. Two Republican candidates, Dennis Bova and Frederick Nichols, are also vying for the seat being vacated by Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi.
Salatino provided the following statement to NEWSChannel 2 on Monday:
"I received the news late Friday that the court had decided to remove my name from the ballot. After reviewing their decision with my attorney we do not agree with the court’s decision. The judge did not find that I engaged in any fraudulent activity, and I can assure you that I did not. I believe that I should not be held accountable for the errors of a few. It’s important to remember that there were more than 500 of the required signatures to be on the ballot, and that every person who signed a petition intended to sign for me. My opponent has done everything possible to prevent a primary and not let the people decide. This decision should be up to the voters not a judge or a court. I want to assure all of my supporters that I am going to fight this vigorously. I believe the court of appeals will agree with our case, and I look forward to being back on the ballot."
NEWSChannel 2 is working to obtain the supreme court document containing more information about the decision to remove Salatino from the ballot.
This story will be updated as more information becomes available.
- 119th Assembly District candidate Christopher Salatino removed from ballot
- Nichols gets name on ballot for 119th Assembly District primary
- 119th Assembly District candidates voice opinions on downtown Utica hospital
- Candidates in 119th Assembly primary race battle for Republican seat
- Utica School Board president announces run for 119th Assembly District
- Bova unofficially wins Republican primary for 119th Assembly District
- It's official: Bova wins Republican primary for 119th Assembly district
- 118th Assembly District candidate Robert Smullen arrested
- Salatino to remain off Democratic primary ballot after losing appeal
- Bova is official winner of Republican primary for 119th Assembly District