UTICA, NY - If the temperature stays the way it is right now outside, runners in this year's Boilermaker will need to take extra precautions.
The warmer it is, the more dangerous it can be.
But there are things you can do before showing up at the start line that can help you along the way.
One of the most important things you can do, even days before stepping foot on this course, is hydrate.
Dan Broedel, the medical coordinator for the Boilermaker, says, “For a 15K race you need to hydrate two days or three days ahead of time. You need to be really hydrated at the start line.”
He says heat exhaustion and dehydration are probably the most common reasons people end up in the medical tent. Your body may give you warning signs that let you know when you're starting to become dehydrated.
“If you should stop sweating. If you find yourself not sweating. Then it's gone too far. When you start to get dizzy, you need to slow down. Lightheaded, you start to fumble as you're running, you need to slow down. You need to hydrate right then and there.”
But hydrating is only part of the equation. Post-race party medical coordinator Vinny Faraone says running a 15K race requires some work prior to race day.
“The people that get in trouble are the people that don't properly train and the people that don't properly hydrate before the race.”
Just as important as hydrating is having proper medical information. The information sent in when registering is linked to the bib the runner wears. If you should hand your bib over to a friend, medical personel will not know who they are treating.
Dan Broedel, Medical Cordinator for the Boilermaker says,
"Swapping bibs is a very dangerous procedure, and it isn't something you really want to do from a medical perspective. And your allergies and medications direct how we're going to take care of you. If you have somebody else's bib, that can be a problem."
- Boilermaker race precautions: Start prepping days before the event
- Boilermaker motorcycle driver talks race day responsibilities
- Safety guidelines, precautions in place for Boilermaker Sunday
- Boilermaker 5K, 15K & wheelchair race top finishers
- Security heightened for this year's Boilermaker race
- Boilermaker post-race party beer announced
- Fun facts about the Boilermaker Road Race!
- GALLERY: 41st annual Boilermaker Road Race
- Hundreds run in the Erie Canal Half : A Boilermaker Event
- Event information for Utica National Kids' Run on Boilermaker weekend