Livestream View Now

Federal claims against City of Utica, police in Bumbolo case dismissed

Federal claims against the City of Utica and seven of its police officers in the Paul Bumbolo triple murder case have been dismissed, the city announced today.

Posted: Nov. 9, 2017 11:48 AM
Updated: Nov. 9, 2017 5:28 PM

UTICA – 
A legal victory for the city of Utica and its police officers in a federal lawsuit stemming from a triple homicide on the city's west side nearly three years ago. The United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit unanimously dismissed all federal claims against the city and its officers relating to the Paul Bumbolo triple homicide. Bumbolo brutally stabbed three relatives: Cindy Golden, Michael Bumbolo and Michelle Bumbolo, in their Whitesboro Street apartment in January of 2015. He pleaded not responsible by reason of mental disease or defect.

The city attorney who made oral arguments in this case last month says it was dismissed on merit, and is a huge victory for the city and its officers.

"This is a major win for the city of Utica. These were the primary claims that the plaintiffs were prosecuting. The state law claims are even weaker. They give us very little concern. Like we said from day one, we will aggressively defend this lawsuit and there will be no settlement offer," said Assistant Utica Corporation Counsel Zachary Oren.

Oren says the case is now in the plaintiffs' hands and will likely move to state court.

Bumbolo is in Mid-Hudson Psychiatric Center. He's evaluated annually and was last retained in August of this year. The plaintiffs in the case are survivors of the victims.

Attorney Robert Julian is bringing suit against St. Luke's Hospital regarding the Bumbolo case. He says there was a stay on related proceedings pending the resolution of this appeal, and that he will now proceed with that case.

Article Comments