UTICA – A Utica man is facing felony burglary and weapons charges after he allegedly forced his way into an apartment and pointed a gun at the woman who lived there, according to the Utica Police Department.
Around 10 a.m. Monday, Utica police responded to an apartment on Scott Street after a woman reported that a man had forced his way into her apartment and pointed a gun at her. Police say that while the man was in the apartment, he questioned the woman about an unknown male who lived in the apartment.
The woman then told the man that she was the only one there, and after he searched the apartment and realized the woman was the only occupant, he fled from the apartment.
Police say that while they were speaking with the victim at the scene, she directed officers to another residence on Scott Street where she believed the suspect had fled to. Police surrounded that residence and the suspect was found inside with a loaded 9mm handgun.
Police say the suspect, 36-year-old Angel Soto of Utica, was taken into custody without incident. The apartment he was found in was not his residence, and it was unoccupied at the time of his arrest.
No injuries were reported in the incident.
Soto is charged with:
- Two counts of first-degree burglary (Felony)
- Two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon (Felony)
- Two counts of third-degree criminal possession of a weapon (Felony)
- Two counts of criminal possession of a firearm (Felony)
- Second-degree menacing (Misdemeanor)
- Obstruction of governmental administration (Misdemeanor)
- Police: Utica man forced his way into apartment, pointed gun at woman inside
- Police investigate stabbing in downtown Utica apartment
- Police respond to Olbiston Apartments in Utica
- Utica man accused of lewd act inside Herkimer convenience store
- Utica man facing list of drug charges following apartment search
- West Street Apartments complex opens in Utica
- Utica man sentenced to prison time for breaking into woman's apartment
- Developers and Utica mayor share progress of Utica Harbor Point
- Levitt AMP Utica moving inside due to heat
- 9 pets discovered in filthy conditions in Utica apartment