LEYDEN – Fire crews from six different departments responded to a barn fire in the town of Leyden early Monday morning, which destroyed the barn and killed dozens of cows.
Calls came in around 5:30 a.m. Monday reporting a structure fire on West Road in the town of Leyden, Lewis County. Crews were on scene for more than five hours working to put out the flames.
Fire officials say that all 56 cows that were inside the barn died from the fire, and the barn is a total loss.
Crews will be back on scene throughout the day to put out hot spots.
- 56 cows killed in Leyden barn fire
- Several cows killed in Lewis County barn fire
- Livestock killed in Little Falls barn fire
- Fire destroys barn in Plainfield
- Van Hornesville barn destroyed by fire overnight
- UPDATE: Barn fire in Frankfort deemed accidental
- Cow cuddling: Paying farmers for 'sMOOches'
- Several cows in transit from Vernon to PA killed in Chenango crash
- CNY Drones Soar into Barnes & Noble
- Plainfield family looks to rebuild after losing animals in barn fire