UTICA – A Utica man is facing a murder charge after a 7-month-old baby died of head injuries over the weekend, according to the Utica Police Department.
Police say that around 6 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 20, the Utica police and fire departments responded to an address on Walker Street following a call for an unresponsive 7-month-old child.
Upon arrival, first responders found the baby, identified as Emelina Sanchez, with faint vital signs and possible head injuries. She was treated by the Utica Fire Department and then transported to St. Luke’s hospital for treatment. Emelina was then transferred to Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital in Syracuse, where she died from her head injuries shortly after midnight on Sunday, Jan. 21.
Following an investigation by the Utica Police Department, 20-year-old Jason Nieves of Utica was charged with second-degree murder.
Police say Nieves, who is the boyfriend of Emelina’s mother, was allegedly babysitting Emelina when she began to cry uncontrollably. Police say Nieves’ actions in response to Emelina’s crying caused her head injuries, which ultimately caused her death.
- Utica man charged with murder following death of 7-month-old girl
- Millington man charged in abuse of 7-month-old
- Utica man accused of killing 7-month-old baby to face grand jury soon
- Texas father charged with capital murder in adopted girl's death
- Utica man charged with second-degree murder in shooting death of David Davis
- Man charged with manslaughter in connection to Utica woman's death
- 7-month-old baby at center of Amber Alert found dead
- 14-year-old girl charged in father's death
- Utica man charged in trademark counterfeit investigation
- Utica man charged in Hopper Street crash