MARCY – Six corrections officers at Mid-State Correctional Facility were reportedly injured in an assault by an inmate with a makeshift weapon, according to the New York State Correctional Officers and Police Benevolent Association.
NYSCOPBA officials say on the morning of May 8 two officers were searching an inmate and his living quarters, and the inmate initially complied when he was ordered to face the wall to be frisked, but he then suddenly turned and pulled a weapon resembling a metal ice pick from his waistband.
The two officers restrained the inmate and knocked the weapon to the floor, and the inmate then struck both officers multiple times in the head and upper body, according to NYSCOPBA. The officers then forced the inmate to the floor and where he continued to be combative.
According to NYSCOPBA, responding officers used OC spray on the inmate twice and it had no effect. Several minutes later, they were able to get his legs and arms under control and into restraints.
Officials say the inmate was then searched for additional weapons and officers found a razor blade wrapped in black electrical tape.
The inmate was evaluated and then transported to Five Points Correctional Facility. He’s currently serving 13 years in prison after being convicted of first-degree rape and second-degree assault in Kings County in 2011.
NYSCOPBA officials say the six injured officers were treated by Mid-State medical staff, then transported to two local hospitals for further treatment with head and body abrasions and minor sprains. One of the officers was also briefly knocked unconscious during the incident.
All six of the officers were released but have not yet returned to work.
- 6 corrections officers injured at Mid-State Correctional Facility
- Female officer injured by inmate at Mohawk Correctional Facility
- 2 downstate women accused of bringing drugs into Mid-State Correctional Facility
- Corrections Officer arrested for trying to bring narcotics into Corrections Facility
- 21 local corrections officers graduate from Basic Corrections Academy
- Correction officers needed in Oneida County
- Inmate escapes correction officer custody in Utica
- K9 finds K2 on visitor at Midstate Correctional Facility
- 3 officers assaulted in 2 separate incidents at Mohawk Correctional Facility
- Oneida County Sheriff's Office welcomes 9 new corrections officers