UTICA – Plans for the proposed “U-District” in downtown Utica are moving a step forward with the purchase of the Tartan Textile property by the Upper Mohawk Valley Memorial Auditorium Authority.
The AUD Authority announced today that they’ve finalized and signed the purchase agreement for the property from Bowers Development, LLC, with the hopes of developing it into the Nexus Center, a sports and recreation center for tournament-based play.
The 1.9-acre property is located across from the Adirondack Bank Center and it encompasses the block between Broadway and Charles streets. Demolition on the existing building is scheduled to start in early 2018.
“The Authority has been striving towards procuring the Tartan property for a long time, so it is rewarding to see things finally come full circle,” said Carl Annese, chairman of the AUD Authority, in a news release. “I know I speak for the Authority as a whole when I say that that land is unbound in its potential, and that it will allow us to continue to push forward to make our Nexus Center project a reality.”
Officials predict that the Nexus Center will bring in 350,000 visitors each year.
Plans for the proposed U-District also include the already completed expansion to the Adirondack Bank Center at the Utica Memorial Auditorium, a craft beer museum and innovation center, a casino, a public playground and more.
- AUD Authority purchases Tartan Textile property for future Nexus Center
- Compassion Coalition won't accept property purchase offer from MVHS
- MVHS Purchase option agreement deadline
- Common Council approves Irish Cultural Center's proposal to buy property
- Dealing with ‘Zombie’ properties
- What is the future of the New Hartford Shopping Center?
- Paying sales tax for Online purchases
- Newstalk: Farming Your Future
- Griffo secures funding to purchase protective hoods for local firefighters
- Last Chance to Purchase Compost Bins & Rain Barrels