Utica, N.Y. - Boilermaker officials say you can cheer on the runners in this Sunday’s Boilermaker Road Race from just about any spot along the 9.3 mile course, but there are three designated cheering areas that have become quite popular.
‘Unity Mile’ which runs between the one-mile mark and two-mile mark along Culver Ave. from Albany St. up past M.V.C,C. is where you'll see people from so many different cultures gather to celebrate diversity.
Boilermaker Sponsor and Marketing Specialist Jordan Peters says the Unity Mile has become a symbol of this race, “It’s pretty open ended. Literally, anybody is invited and that’s kind of the beauty in it, it really represents Utica. We can really say anybody, from any walk of life, religion, background, come down cheer on the runners together. The point of the Unity Mile is to really make a vibrant and colorful section of the race course. And it’s early in the race course so you’re kind of welcoming out-of-towner’s to Utica early on in the course and saying, hey this is what Utica is all about, this is what make it so great, and that’s the beauty of the Unity Mile “
Mile 8 is where you'll see the 'M&T Mile Cheer Zone' as the runners head toward the finish line. M & T Bank will hand out about 2,000 cowbells before the race starts at the eight-mile mark on Whitesboro Street.
There’s also what is know as the 'Bucket Brigade' near Utica Firehouse Number 4 on Sunset Ave and Shepherd Place, where so many first responders are, and are recognized.
Peters says no matter where people gather, the spirit is high.
- Boilermaker 2018 - Get ready to cheer the runners on!
- Boilermaker 2018 forecast
- Early access, deferral runner registration opens for Boilermaker 15K 2016
- 4 local high school runners awarded Boilermaker Road Race scholarships
- First-time Boilermaker runner? Apply now for Go The Distance!
- NewsTalk: Joe Wilcyzynski, from Go the Distance, talks about perennial Boilermaker runners
- Race analyst Nate Getman talks top local Boilermaker runners to watch for
- Go The Distance runners take on part of the Boilermaker course tonight
- First-time Boilermaker runner? 1 day left to apply for Go The Distance!
- Boilermaker announces 2018 Charity Bib partners