UTICA- Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi met with teachers at General Herkimer Elementary School on Monday afternoon to discuss the GOP tax plan.
He said the current plan eliminates the federal teacher deduction which he said could cost teachers up to $750 of their own money to buy school supplies.
He said there are other taxpayers in the area that won't see benefits."They're taking away important deductions that many working class families rely on whether it's student loan interests or out of pocket expenses for teachers or state and local deductions, so congress is doing a disservice to Central New York right now," said Brindisi.
NEWSChannel 2 reached out to Congresswoman Claudia Tenney's office, they said the senate bill actually doubles the deduction to $500. Tenney did vote in favor of the house bill which eliminated tax deductions.
- Brindisi says GOP tax plan won't benefit teachers
- Assemblyman Brindisi challenges federal tax plan
- Brindisi holds Tax Talk Town Hall
- Brindisi holds fundraiser at Chesterfield
- Schumer takes fight against GOP tax plan to upstate NY
- State lawmakers comment on proposed GOP tax plan
- Brindisi Takes Town Hall to Colgate
- Tenney, Brindisi respond to Dodd-Frank rollbacks
- Brindisi Holds Town Hall in Herkimer County