Hundreds gathered at the Herkimer Elementary School track Thursday afternoon. CVA seniors were there to run for a local cause while the community came out to cheer them on.
Over the 12 year history of the Mott Marathon, over 200 students have completed it and have raised over $25,000.
It's 26.2 miles or 105 laps around the track.
In recent years, the proceeds have benefited the American Cancer Society and members of the Central Valley family who have fought cancer.
A few years ago, runners raised more than $10,000 to honor Jack Day, a 2011 Ilion grad who lost his battle with Melanoma in 2015. His family has been a big supporter of this marathon.
"It's just a fantastic community event," said Jack's dad Tim Day. "We really do appreciate Mr. Mott keeping Jack's memory alive. We enjoy being here, we stay until the last runner finishes and we have a lot of fun with it. It's just a great community event everybody gets pretty excited about it. It's great to see these seniors able to accomplish what they do."
This year, proceeds will go to CVA senior Marcus Sardina and his family. Marcus has been fighting cancer for the past year. But despite his battle, he participated in the Mott Marathon.
"We know Marcus," added Day. "My wife is good friends with his mother. God bless him. He's been through a real struggle. I really admire Marcus and I'm so happy the community could come together for him."
Joining the seniors were 55 other runners including past participants, and Thunder faculty and staff.
The number 55 is significant because both Jack Day and Marcus Sardina wore that number when they played high school football.
- CVA hosts 12th Annual Mott Marathon Challenge
- NewsTalk: 12th Annual Mott Marathon
- The Genesis Group hosts 12th Annual Celebration of Education
- CVA seniors reflect on merger during annual walk-through tradition
- CVA students bring gift baskets, holiday cheer to local seniors
- VVS hosts 4th Annual Coaches & Officials vs. Cancer
- Assemblyman Butler hosts 15th annual United Way Tailgate Party
- Genesis Group hosts 13th annual Striving for Success awards dinner
- Utica College hosts 4th annual Relay for Life
- SUNY Poly hosts annual Health and Wellness Expo