STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Canastota elementary students evacuated due to carbon monoxide alarms

Canastota elementary students were temporarily evacuated Thursday morning due to carbon monoxide alarms set off by a boiler.

Posted: Apr. 12, 2018 12:06 PM

CANASTOTA – Canastota elementary students were temporarily evacuated Thursday morning due to carbon monoxide alarms, according to Canastota Central School District Superintendent June Clarke.

Scroll for more content...

A notice posted by Clarke to the district’s website says that an issue with one of the boilers at the Roberts Street Elementary School complex trigged the carbon monoxide detectors. Students and staff were immediately evacuated, and National Grid responded to the school along with local police and fire departments to conduct a thorough investigation.

Students returned to the school once National Grid and the local fire department confirmed that it was safe. Clarke says they have disabled the boiler that had the issue and they’re now relying on a backup boiler.

“As always, the safety and security of our students and staff is my first priority and no one was in danger at any time,” Clarke said.

Related Content

Article Comments

Boilermaker Results
Enchanted Forest Water Safari Phrase to Play
Utica
Clear
62° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 50°
Feels Like: 62°
Oneonta
Clear
60° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 60°
Herkimer
Clear
62° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 50°
Feels Like: 62°
Thendara
Clear
62° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 62°
WKTV Radar
WKTV Temperatures
WKTV Severe Weather
New Reduced Price for WKTV Staycation Card
Click Here for A Healthier Mohawk Valley