SHERRILL- After months of back and forth, the City of Sherrill and companies who drive large trucks have come to an agreement on a truck ordinance, that would allow vehicles over 5 tons to drive through the city under certain circumstances.
On Monday night, the city agreed to let anything over 5 tons to take Sherrill Road and Route 5, and they can take other roads through the city only if they're doing local deliveries within the city and a quater mile outside of the city.
The original proposal wouldn't have allowed any trucks in the city over 5 tons, accept for local deliveries and no access to Sherrill Road.
Companies who have to use these roads said the original proposal would have forced them to take an alternate route that would have been much longer.
Officials with the city said the reason why they pitched this proposal was because they got complaints from residents, and they said they also wanted to preserve the roads. Both parties said they're happy with the compromise.
"I feel like this is a win for us," said Truck driver for C.T. Express Inc., Shiloh Janes. "We're just trying to do our job everyday and if we had a stack of tickets, we had been in a bunch of accidents, if we've been overweight, and if we had been doing things wrong, that would have made sense but we're just doing our job," he added.
The mayor for the city said he's satisfied with the agreement. "I think it was a good compromise, I think everyone is happy at this point and we can all work together," said Mayor William Vineall.
The new ordinance will go into effect January 1, 2018.
- City of Sherrill comes to an agreement on truck ordinance
- Rogue horse and pony captured in Sherrill
- Sherrill Manufacturing to showcase products at White House event
- MVHS Purchase option agreement deadline
- Plan coming together to capture rogue horse and pony in Sherrill
- Effort to capture horse and pony on the run in Sherrill to begin soon
- No luck yet rounding up the rogue horse and pony in Sherrill
- MVCC and UC sign articulation agreement
- Agreement reached to close notorious Rikers Island jail
- Thales Group, NASA reach agreement for UAS work at Griffiss