We got a lesson in blueberry varieties in the WKTV NEWSChannel 2 studio as the U-Pick Central New York blueberry season gets into full swing.
We sampled and learned about the following varieties: Blueray, Jersey, Bluecrop and Duke.
Owner of Blueberry Hill Farms & Nursery Mark Artessa has been raising blueberries on his property since 2014 out of the love for picking. He began with a test plot of 125 blueberry bushes at 6884 Roberts Road in Clinton.
This summer, he opened U-Pick by appointment at the Farm on the four varieties we got to taste. Wishful berry pickers can call or text to make an appointment from now through Sunday, July 29th. Hours Monday through Friday are 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
You can also get a glimpse of the nursery where there are some 20 varieties of blueberries being raised.
From the 125 blueberry bushes in the test plot, the farm has grown to more than 2,000 bushes.
Berries are ripe from July to early September and nursery plants are available for purchase from April to November.
The phone number for making an appointment is 315.368.5578
- Clinton U-Pick blueberries by appointment
- U-Pick Blueberries begins at North Star Orchards
- New aviation commissioner appointed in Oneida County
- Hospice & Palliative Care appoints new CEO
- Utica Fire Department holds promotion, appointment ceremony
- Volunteers needed to drive local veterans to appointments
- Tim Reed appointed interim executive director of local United Way
- CBS appoints John Dickerson as Charlie Rose's replacement
- Utica Common Council to discuss city clerk appointment
- Central Valley BOE expected to appoint Jeremy Rich as superintendent