The state Department of Environmental Conservation has announced plans for the proposed Frontier Town Campground, Equestrian and Day Use Area, which would be a public campground at the site of the former Frontier Town theme park in North Hudson, Essex County.
The campground is meant to be a “Gateway to the Adirondacks,” which Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced he wanted to establish in his 2017 State of the State Address. The main objectives of that gateway are to link outdoor recreation in the Adirondack Park, bolster tourism and strengthen the North Country’s economy.
A Request for Proposals to develop and operate a tourism destination near the site was issued by Empire State Development earlier this year, and those responses are currently being reviewed.
The campground – including equestrian camping – and the day-use area are part of the master plan for the site, which includes a $13 million investment through the NY Works program to help develop them.
Plans for the new campground include:
- An equestrian camping area modeled after DEC’s Otter Creek facility will provide space for 33 equestrian camping sites, including Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)-compliant features.
- A recreational vehicle (RV) and trailer camping area with space for 13 RV and trailer camping sites. RV and trailer campsite pads will have electrical hookups and fireplaces, and water spigots will be conveniently located.
- A tent camping area will include a total of 45 tent camping sites, including three group camping sites, two shower buildings, a playground and two pavilions. A minimum of 30 feet of existing vegetation buffer will be maintained between tent sites and all tent sites will be set back at least 30 feet from the top of the bank along the Schroon River so that they are not visible to recreational users of the river.
- A parking area for all-season trail access will be located off Frontier Town Road near NYS Route 9, providing year round parking for 26 vehicles, including spots for 18 vehicles with snowmobile trailers, six for vehicles only, and two for accessible vehicles.
- A seasonal day use area will be located along the shoreline of the Schroon River with 34 parking space.
- The entrance ticket booth will utilize solar energy to support part of the ticketing operations, and amenities for staff will also be provided.
The state DEC will be hosting two public information sessions on Monday, Dec. 11 at the Town of North Hudson Town Hall. The sessions will be 3-4:30 p.m. and 6-7:30 p.m.
For more information and renderings of the plans, click here.
- DEC announces plans for proposed Frontier Town Campground in Essex County
- NY state finalizes plans to upgrade 3 Adirondack campgrounds
- New York recruits lifeguards for state campgrounds
- Proposed parking plan in Cooperstown
- Sen. Schumer announces upstate NY infrastructure proposal
- Camping newbies can get free sites at New York campgrounds
- Camping newbies can get free sites at NYS campgrounds
- Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse airport this summer
- Maryland business owners share input on town's comprehensive plan