No. 9/11 Hamilton College men's ice hockey team kicked off the season with a 2-2 tie at Amherst on Friday. On Sunday, the Continentals played their home opener, hosting Stevenson University.
To Sage Rink in Clinton, the Continentals are coming off a historic season last year and look to set the tone at home early on. On the opposing side, Colin Woods, brother of Comets' center Brendan Woods, is a freshman forward for the Mustangs.
First period, Continentals get on the scoreboard first. Rory Gagnon across ice to Jonny Stimola, he fires a shot from the blue line that sneaks in over the shoulder glove side of Jacob Caffrey to give the Continentals a 1-0 lead.
A couple minutes later some four on four hockey, Hamilton strikes again. Brandon Willet with the back door pass to fellow senior captain Tyler Bruneteau, he finishes it off to double the lead.
Gagnon would scor eon the power play to put Hamilton up 3-0 after one period of play.
The Continentals had three power play opportunities in the second but could not convert. However, with 15 seconds left in the middle frame Nick Ursitti sends in the wrist shot. Caffrey gets a piece but the puck trickles in behind him and the Continentals head into the third up 4-zip.
Ursitti and Willet each scored in the final period as the duo combined for six points on three goals and three assists as Hamilton snaps the mustangs six-game unbeaten streak with a 6-0 victory in their home opener.
Anthony Tirabassi earned his first collegiate shutout making 29 saves in his first start for the Contintentals.
Hamilton returns to the ice next weekend. The Continentals will travel to Saratoga to compete in the Skidmore Thanksgiving Invitational.
- Hamilton cruises to 6-0 win over Stevenson in home opener
- Battle to save home, history, in Hamilton
- Hamilton College graduates hundreds
- Lava rocks at Hamilton College
- Hamilton College students help make a difference
- Hamilton's Buitenhuis signs with Toronto Marlies
- Hamilton College warns of local sales scam
- Hamilton signs two-year deal with Comets
- At Home opens in New Hartford
- Ambassadors discuss Iran Deal at Hamilton College panel