HERKIMER - A timeline has been set for the construction of the new Herkimer County Jail – and that timeframe is only a matter of months.
The Herkimer County Legislature says construction could start in early-to-mid October on the Route 28 site, at the former P&C grocery store location.
Construction bids will go out on August 14th, and they're due by September 19th. The Legislature will then vote on which bid to accept.
There is still something that could delay development - but likely won't stop it.
“We have to wait for the ruling on eminent domain, but we can still proceed with the construction of the jail as that's happening,” said Vice Chairman Vincent Bono.
Legislators say architects have drawn up the final design plans, and the New York State Department of Corrections has signed off on them.
- Herkimer County Legislature accepting bids for jail construction
- Herkimer Legislature moves forward on jail site
- Herkimer County Legislature subcommittees approve concrete-style jail
- Herkimer man accused of possessing cocaine inside county jail
- Herkimer woman accused of bringing drugs into Oneida County Jail
- Legislature adjourns 2018 session
- Herkimer County approves 2018 budget
- Water rescue in Herkimer County
- State DOT accepting applications
- 18 Herkimer County veterans added to memorial at Herkimer College