UTICA, NY-- More than a year has passed since a Utica man and his two dogs were killed in a fire on Victoria Drive, and several neighbors are seeking answers to learn what's next for the property.
"I wish it would end," said John Papaleo, who lives next door to 171 Victoria Drive. "That's the whole thing, have somebody come in redo the property, make the memory diminish it will never, never pass totally."
Many neighbors like Papaleo will never forget the early morning hours of Jan. 27, 2017, when 63-year-old Lawrence Pavese and his two dogs were killed. Papaleo said he had just had coffee with Pavese the day before.
Papaleo graduated with Pavese from Thomas R. Proctor High School in 1970.
"To have to look at this everyday and remember Larry how he passed away," he said. "It's just a memory and the sight of having this and nothing done about it. It's been over a year now."
Some neighbors reached out to city officials to find out the status of property for themselves, like Kathy Pugh, who lives next door to the home, on the opposite site of Papeleo.
"I've contacted the [Utica City Code Department] and called the mayor, called the fire department, called the fire marshall," Pugh said "My husband has called the fire marshall, the councilman I've been to codes to see what can happen and I've just been told it's a very long process before the city would do anything."
When NEWSChannel 2 showed up to the home an employee with Utica City Code Department stopped by to take pictures of the property.
No one from the code department, Utica Fire Department, Mayor Robert Palmieri's office, or the attorney handling the case were unavailable for comment.
The property is schedule to be auctioned later this week.
- Home of fatal fire remains in place one year later, neighbors seek answers
- Neighbors help occupants out of home during fire
- Remains WWII pilot identified, being brought home for burial
- Community devastated by fatal Rome fire
- Neighbors rescue man from roof of house fire in Ilion
- Dallas police officer accused in neighbor's death fired
- Cuomo seeks $125B over 5 years for infrastructure upgrades
- Middleville Garage Fire Destroys Home
- Fire destroys Poland mobile home