ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - An influential liberal organization is backing Cynthia Nixon over incumbent Andrew Cuomo in the race for New York governor.
Citizen Action announced its support for Nixon Tuesday. Four years ago the group endorsed Cuomo's successful bid for a second term.
Nixon is a political activist and actor who starred in "Sex and the City." She's challenging Cuomo in this year's Democratic Party primary.
Citizen Action's decision to back Nixon over the incumbent is another sign of Cuomo's difficulties in appealing to his party's liberal base.
The group's executive director, Karen Scharff, tells The Associated Press that Nixon's advocacy for public school children helped to convince Citizen Action's 30,000 members that she would work for everyday New Yorkers if elected.
A message left with Cuomo's campaign wasn't immediately returned Tuesday.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Liberal group endorses Nixon over Cuomo in NY governor race
- Cuomo defeats Nixon in NY gubernatorial primary
- Activist party backs Cynthia Nixon in NY governor's race
- Planned Parenthood political group endorses Cuomo, Hochul
- Sarah Jessica Parker endorses Cynthia Nixon for governor
- Poll: Cuomo maintains big lead over Nixon among NY Dems
- UPDATE: Cuomo and Nixon vote in NY primary election
- Cynthia Nixon takes campaign for NY governor to Albany
- Capitol Watch: Special election, Nixon-Cuomo taxes
- VIDEO: Cuomo and Nixon spar in debate