An Otsego County veteran is being honored by New York State for his years of service to his country.
Thomas McMillen was inducted into the New York State Senate Veterans Hall of Fame on Tuesday by state Sen. James Seward.
McMillen served in the U.S. Army on active duty from 1967-1973, and he completed two tours in Vietnam. During his service he rose up to the rank of Captain, first serving as an infantry platoon commander and later as a Chinook helicopter pilot, according to his Hall of Fame biography.
“Thomas McMillen is a true American hero, and more than worthy of inclusion in the New York State Senate Veterans Hall of Fame,” Seward said in a news release. “Tom displayed superior bravery and courage while serving our nation. His two tours in Vietnam – first as an infantry platoon commander and later as a helicopter pilot – highlighted a rare skill set and demonstrated his desire to put country first. He was a gifted leader who took on new, demanding challenges throughout his military career and excelled at every turn. Our country is better because of Thomas McMillen.”
McMillen also received many awards and honors throughout his career, including the National Defense Service Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal with 6 Campaign Stars, the Bronze Star Medal with 2 Oak Leaf Cluster and the Army Aviator Badge, among others.
McMillen also served part-time in the Army National Guard, which he retired from in 2001 as a Chief Warrant Officer 4.
Inductees for the NYS Senate Veterans Hall of Fame must be former members of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Local veteran inducted into NYS Senate Veterans Hall of Fame
- New Hartford veteran inducted into NYS Senate Veterans' Hall of Fame
- 2018 Boxing Hall of Fame Induction ceremony
- Class of 2017 excited for Baseball Hall of Fame induction
- Five new members inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame
- MVCC inducts four new members into its Hall of Fame
- Greater Utica Sports Hall of Fame inducts four new members
- Six new inductees highlight Baseball Hall of Fame induction weekend
- Induction ceremony caps Baseball Hall of Fame weekend
- Baseball fans react to this year's Hall of Fame induction class