Mohawk, N.Y. - The three children of one of the four victims who died during the shootings in Mohawk and Herkimer back in 2013 have planned a memorial walk on the 5th anniversary of those shootings on Tuesday.
The three are the children of Harry Montgomery Sr. who was killed inside John’s Barber Shop on Main Street in Mohawk on March 13th of 2013.
On that day, 64-year-old Kurt Meyers set his apartment on fire in Mohawk and then went to John’s Barber Shop and opened fire, killing customers 68-year-old Harry Montgomery Sr. and 57-year-old Michael Ransear, as well as wounding the barber shop owner, John Seymour, and another customer, Daniel Haslauer.
Myers then drove to Gaffey’s Fast Lube and Car Wash in nearby Herkimer and killed two people there, an employee named Thomas Stefka and a customer, Michael Renshaw.
The children of Harry Montgomery Sr. - Harry Montgomery Jr., Linda Springer and Kelly Kirk - want each and every one of the victims to be remembered so they are holding a memorial walk on the five-year anniversary on Tuesday and they're hoping for a big turnout.
The walk is set for 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and it will begin at Weller Park right out in front of Jarvis Middle School, which is just a block from John’s Barber Shop.
The walk will not only make stops at the barber shop and at Gaffey's Fast Lube and Car Wash, but also at 269 Main St. in Herkimer, the former site of the Glory Days Bar, which has since been torn down. That was where the shooter, Kurt Myers, was shot by police.
- Memorial Walk planned for Tuesday to honor victims of 2013 Mohawk, Herkimer shootings
- Local students plan walk outs in honor of victims in Florida shooting
- Implementing Herkimer’s Master Plan
- 18 Herkimer County veterans added to memorial at Herkimer College
- Trailer Fire in Mohawk
- Utica man faces sentencing in connection to 2013 fatal shooting
- Utica Academy of Science students walk out in memory of Columbine victims
- UPDATE: Police ID victim, driver in fatal Herkimer crash
- Mohawk Valley recognizes Good Friday
- Village of Herkimer Master Plan 2020 is now a reality