WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (AP) - State police say one person has died and one is seriously injured after several crashes involving numerous vehicles on the snowy New York State Thruway east of Buffalo.
Troopers say all lanes are blocked between Exit 50 and Exit 48A at Pembroke going into the evening rush hour Tuesday.
Trooper Michael Cassella in Albany says 15 to 25 cars and 10 tractor-trailers were involved in a series of collisions starting shortly before 2 p.m. Tuesday. He says weather was a contributing factor.
Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said seven volunteer fire departments were at the scene and hundreds of cars were backed up.
Gusty wind with blowing and drifting snow has prompted blizzard warnings for northern Erie County overnight.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Multiple crashes close snowy Thruway east of Buffalo
- Our snowy week continues...
- UPDATE: Syracuse man killed in Verona Thruway crash
- NY launches mobile app for Thruway travel
- Snowy sidewalks pose a threat for pedestrians
- Left lane on Thruway westbound closed between Exit 29 and Exit 29A
- After Texas shooting, Buffalo church plans training
- Corruption trial begins in Buffalo Billion case
- UPDATE: Police release names of 3 people killed in 1-car crash on Thruway in Verona
- UPDATE: Florida man killed, woman injured in tractor trailer crash on Thruway