The New Hartford boys basketball team is hosting the first ever 'All in for Vin' Tip-Off Classic this weekend.
The basketball tournament is in honor of Vinny Maugeri, a 2013 New Hartford graduate and former Spartan basketball player, who died in a car accident in October 2016.
Seven teams across central New York have come together to compete in the tourney. Frankfort-Schuyler and Canastota kicked off the classic Wednesday afternoon. It was a close one throughout, but the Maroon Knights hung on to win 54-47.
Spartans head coach and tournament organizer, John Randall, talked about how he plans to keep Vinny's memory alive.
"We thought about it last year, myself and a couple of Vinny's teammates on how we could best recognize him. We thought that the tournament would bring back a lot of family and friends and kind of be the best way to remember Vinny. He was special to this team basketball-wise, baseball-wise, the school same thing. He was a great teammate, great friend.
It's going as well as it can right now. A lot of his friends are home for Thanksgiving to support this. They wanted to be a part of this in volunteering so I couldn't ask for a better group of kids to come back and help me out with this project."
The tournament continues Friday. New Hartford will take on CNS, tip-off is scheduled for 6:45 p.m.
- New Hartford hosts first 'All in for Vin' basketball tournament
- 2018 Section III Boys Basketball Tournament
- 2018 Section III Girls Basketball Tournament
- New Hartford High School starts unified basketball team
- Utica College hosts youth basketball clinic
- Family members hold annual softball tournament in honor of New Hartford officer Joseph Corr
- New Hartford Budget Gap Fixed
- New Hartford police seek larceny suspect
- New Hartford Police : Shoppers...bring your patience
- Woman killed in New Hartford house fire