New Hartford native Matt Abdoo was on the Today Show once again Thursday morning in a New York Giants vs. Dallas Cowboys cook-off with Cowboys’ player Tre Wilcox representing his team.
Abdoo is a 1998 graduate of New Hartford High School and a 2002 graduate of SUNY Geneseo, and he was also the valedictorian of his class at the Culinary Institute of America in 2004. Abdoo went on to spend some time cooking in Italy, he cooked at a four-star restaurant in Boston, and now he’s the executive chef at Pig Beach restaurant in Brooklyn.
On Wednesday morning, Abdoo’s foods included a slow cooker pastrami sandwich and a Utica favorite, tomato pie.
Abdoo told Carson Daly that he’s from Utica, New York and gave a “What’s up Uticans?” shout out to his hometown.
“What is this thing?” Daly asked him.
“Tomato pie is something we grew up on,” Abdoo explained. “Whether it was a football game, a tailgate, a birthday party, a graduation, whatever, you name it. That was the thing we had. It’s basically a focaccia that has really thick, sweet tomato sauce and parmesan cheese on top.”
You can watch the full Today Show segment in the video player below.
- New Hartford native Matt Abdoo talks tomato pie on Today Show
- Utica celebrates Tomato Pie Day
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Fresh Tomato Pie recipe
- New Hartford native makes Today Show history in executive producer position
- 'Today' executive producer talks about her New Hartford roots
- McDonald's changes apple pie recipe
- NEWSTALK: 'A Bad Year for Tomatoes'
- NewsTalk: Beth Irons' Apple Maple Crumble Pie
- New Hartford Budget Gap Fixed
- Power restored in New Hartford