DEERFIELD – Beth Irons of the Oneida County Public Market joined NewsTalk this afternoon to share her recipe for Apple Butter Spice Cake.
During the fall and winter months, the market is held every other Saturday inside Union Station, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. There is no market this weekend.
Apple Butter Spice Cake
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup apple butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole bran cereal or wheat germ
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch pan.
2. Topping: mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chopped pecans.
3. In separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
5. Add eggs one at a time, thoroughly beating each egg into the butter mixture before adding the next.
6. Add apple butter, vanilla, and wheat germ or bran cereal.
7. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with sour cream; mix well after each addition.
8. Pour half the batter into the prepared pan; sprinkle with half of the topping.
9. Pour remaining batter into pan and top with the rest of the topping.
10. Bake in the preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.