NEW YORK (AP) - New York City police say an Australian diplomat has fallen to his death from a seventh-floor terrace in Manhattan.
The NYPD says 30-year-old Julian Simpson and others went onto an apartment building roof to look at the Empire State Building lights early Wednesday.
They say Simpson swung a woman around and her husband got angry. The men then went onto a seventh-floor apartment terrace, and Simpson offered to prove he was trustworthy by playing a so-called "trust game."
Police say Simpson went to the ledge and leaned back. He grabbed for the other man's hand but slipped and fell to a second-floor landing.
Simpson was an official with Australia's United Nations mission. The Australian government hasn't immediately commented on his death.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police: Australian diplomat dies in fall off NYC roof
- NYC firefighter dies battling blaze on Harlem movie set
- Police seek attacker in hate-crime NYC subway assault
- Weather severely hampers NYC air travel
- Islamic State cooperator sentenced in NYC
- Fire collapses roof at home in Marcy
- NYC, Buffalo-Rochester bid for Amazon's second headquarters
- NYC mayor says 8 dead in bike path terror attack
- NYC man accused of stealing money in Herkimer
- Small earthquake rattles some residents north of NYC