HAMBURG, N.Y. (AP) - Authorities have identified the man who died while kite surfing on Lake Erie in western New York earlier this week.
Police in the Erie County town of Hamburg on Friday identified the man as 61-year-old Jeffrey Biehler, of Hamburg.
Officials say police responded to a town beach on Wednesday afternoon following reports of a kite surfer in distress. Police and lifeguards tried to rescue Biehler but wind gusts pushed him farther from shore.
A town water rescue unit responded and recovered his body.
Police say it's unclear whether Biehler suffered a medical emergency or if his death was related to kite surfing.
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police identify man who died while kite surfing on Lake Erie
- Mug Club: Erie Canal Half
- UPDATE: Man identified in Hinckley Lake drowning
- NY Attorney General: 3 convicted in local check-kiting scheme
- Erie Canal Kids Run canceled due to weather concerns
- Hundreds run in the Erie Canal Half : A Boilermaker Event
- Erie Canal Bike Tour participants make pit stop in Rome
- Mohawk police identify man killed in motorcycle crash
- Developers update the public on new developments in the Erie Canalway Trail project
- 2 adults face drug charges after child drowns in Erie Canal