OBERHOF, GERMANY – A local Olympic hero just got a little more famous, one month away from the start of the winter games.
Remsen native Erin Hamlin is featured in a new online interview for Cosmopolitan magazine. In the interview, published Monday, Hamlin discusses how she first became interested in luge at the age of 12, her relationships with her family and her pets, her upcoming wedding this summer, and what she likes to do when she isn’t on the track.
Hamlin will arrive in South Korea on January 30th. Until then, she is traveling through Europe with nine other teammates - crammed into two vans! The three remaining luge competitions before the Olympics will determine her seeding position for the games.
The 2014 bronze medalist will have her parents, brothers and other family members in attendance, but she knows she has an entire community rallying behind her back home.
“It's so fun to feel that from afar,” said Hamlin in an interview Tuesday with NewsChannel 2. “I see it on Facebook all the time, and even hearing it from my parents who are home and they relay messages to me regularly. It's pretty amazing to see the support and being embraced by the entire community, even if it's people I don't even know. I hope I get to see as many of you as possible at some point. Just know that it's very much appreciated. It helps to know I have such an amazing community behind me going into the games and being so far from home. It definitely makes a world of difference…!”
Hamlin will race in women’s singles on February 12th and 13th. Based on those results, the American woman with the fastest individual run will race in the U.S. team relays.
- Remsen Olympian Erin Hamlin featured in Cosmo article
- Remsen's Erin Hamlin qualifies for 4th Olympics
- 4-time Olympian Erin Hamlin returns home
- Remsen residents turn out to support 'hometown hero' Erin Hamlin
- Remsen's Erin Hamlin finishes sixth in Olympic luge event
- Remsen to welcome home Erin Hamlin with parade on Saturday
- When to watch local Olympians Erin Hamlin, Maddie Phaneuf
- Erin Hamlin back in NY
- Remsen community celebrates Hamlin's decorated career