A freshman student at the State University of New York at Oneonta died early Saturday morning, according an email sent to all students from SUNY Oneonta President Nancy Kleniewski.
Daniel William Michaels was 18 years old and a business economics major from Dix Hills, Long Island. Details surrounding the death were not available Monday, although several students said Michaels had been at a fraternity party Friday night.
Friends and family have created a GoFundMe fundraiser to establish a scholarship in Michaels' name. More than $10,000 has been raised by 371 people in one day, according to the site. The goal is to raise $12,000.
Counseling services have been made available at SUNY Oneonta's Tobey Hall from staff members in the Counseling Center and Office of Residential Community Life.
To donate to the fundraiser visit: https://www.gofundme.com/dan-michaels-memorial
- SUNY Oneonta announces death of freshman student
- Police say drug mixture caused SUNY Oneonta freshman's death
- Hundreds graduate from SUNY Oneonta
- Unrecognized fraternity linked to death of SUNY Oneonta student
- Community members mourn the death of SUNY Oneonta student
- SUNY Oneonta student accused of stabbing girlfriend released on bail
- SUNY Oneonta students discover American eel 440 miles from home
- SUNY Oneonta student accused of fracturing man's skull with baton
- SUNY Oneonta student charged with attempted murder in stabbing incident
- 2 arrested on drug charges in investigation into death of SUNY Oneonta student