A teen is facing felony charges after he allegedly led police on pursuits through several townships and damaged three trooper vehicles, according to New York State Police.
Police say they were called to a residence on River Street in the town of Otego around 10:15 a.m. Sunday for a report of a domestic dispute. When troopers arrived on scene they learned that the 16-year-old, who police have not identified, allegedly threatened a victim with a knife, then fled the scene in a 2008 Toyota Sienna minivan.
The vehicle was later spotted by a trooper around 11:15 a.m. on State Route 7 in Otego, and when the trooper tried to stop the vehicle, the teen didn’t comply. A pursuit then began, headed westbound on State Route 7 in the town of Unadilla, but the pursuit was stopped before reaching the village of Unadilla.
Police say the vehicle was seen traveling toward Sheep Pen Road, so troopers set up a road block at the intersection of Sheep Pen Road and State Route 7. Troopers say as they approached the minivan, the teen put the vehicle in reverse and struck a trooper car, then put the vehicle in drive and smashed into another trooper car, pushing it into the middle of the road.
Another pursuit began at 11:27 a.m., according to police, when the teen drove onto I-88 at Exit 10 at a high speed, then hit a third trooper car in the town of Afton. The teen then left I-88 at Exit 6, headed northbound on State Route 79, then eastbound on State Route 7.
Police say while the teen was speeding on State Route 7, he struck a bridge abutment just before the village of Bainbridge. One of the first trooper vehicles struck by the minivan then tried to block the teen’s vehicle from passing, and the teen then rammed the trooper car a second time, according to police.
The teen’s vehicle then came to a stop on State Route 7 and the teen was taken into custody at 11:53 a.m. He was taken to Tri-Town Regional Hospital by ambulance, then released and taken to state police headquarters in Sidney.
The teen is charged with felony fourth-degree grand larceny, two counts of felony second-degree criminal mischief, misdemeanor second-degree menacing, three counts of misdemeanor second-degree reckless endangerment, and misdemeanor reckless driving. He was also issued traffic tickets in Otsego, Unadilla, Sidney, Afton, Colesville and Bainbridge.
The teen was arraigned in the town of Otego and sent to the Otsego County Jail on $100,000 cash bail or $200,000 bond.
- Teen facing felony charges after leading police on pursuits, striking 3 trooper cars
- Oneonta woman facing felony charge for allegedly driving stolen car
- 2 facing felony drug charges in Utica
- Utica man facing several felony child porn charges
- 2 facing felony drug charges following Bleecker Street search
- Richfield Springs man facing felony charge for allegedly punching TV
- Herkimer man facing felony charges after admitting to burglaries
- Reported burglary leads to felony drug charges for New Hartford man
- UPDATE: Lockout lifted at Jarvis Middle School; children involved facing felony charges
- Utica man facing felony drug charges after investigation into cocaine sales