UTICA – The second-degree murder trial for Ricky Woods Jr. is now underway in Oneida County Court.
Twenty-year-old Woods of Yorkville is charged with second-degree murder for allegedly shooting Jamal Mathis to death two years ago.
On Dec. 19, 2015, Utica police responded to a backyard on Leeds Street where they found Mathis dead from multiple gunshot wounds.
Mathis was charged with the crime in March 2017, when he was already jailed in connection to a kidnapping and attempted murder incident that occurred on Jan. 2, 2017. Woods and three others were charged for taking 20-year-old Khalil Gilmore to a location against his will and shooting him.
All three of Woods’ co-defendants took plea deals, but he did not. At the end of July, Woods was convicted of second-degree attempted murder, second-degree kidnapping and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon.
Now, Woods is on trial for the shooting death of Jamal Mathis. Jury selection took place this morning in Oneida County Court, and opening arguments are scheduled to being at 2 p.m. today.
- Trial begins for Yorkville man accused of 2015 murder
- Yorkville murder: new information
- Kaitlyn Conley murder trial to begin Monday
- Yorkville Fire Memorial
- Yorkville man accused of stabbing his brother to death
- Police ID Yorkville man accused of stabbing brother to death
- Prosecution rests; defense begins their case in Conley murder trial
- Trial of Rome murder suspect Robert Coffin to begin Monday
- Opening arguments begin in Robert Coffin murder trial
- Trial begins for Oneida man accused of stabbing man to death in fall 2016