MOHAWK, N.Y. - On September 25th of this year, a team of paramedics responded to the 400 block of North Prospect Street in Herkimer for a report of a toddler falling from a second-story window.
The woman supervising the toddler was charged with reckless endangerment, and the child was transported to a trauma center.
Now, the child is steadily improving at a rehabilitation center, and the paramedics who responded to the scene have been honored by their employer, MOVAC.
Michael Garlock and Rosie Lanphere earned the "Board of Directors Excellence in Performance" award Wednesday night.
"Anytime a kid is hurt or injured, it's a heart-wrenching experience," Garlock said. "I have two nephews who are right around the same age. That's the one thing I can picture in the back of my head as the worst thing that I would never want to happen to them."
Another paramedic received this recognition for in June, in a case that also involved a young child. MOVAC's chief, Brad Vrooman, began giving out the award this year, to call attention to the lifesaving work his crews perform every day.
In recalling Garlock and Lanphere's response, Vrooman said the child was already in expert hands by the time he arrived at the scene.
"I walked around to the back of an open ambulance and saw two professionals with a very injured child, doing the best job that they could possibly do, and I was super proud of them," Vrooman said.
"To handle that as well as as our folks do, day in and day out, it's a real tribute to the whole profession," Greg Eisenhut, the president of MOVAC's Board of Directors said.
- Two MOVAC paramedics awarded for response to injured toddler
- Head of MOVAC terminated following suspension
- MOVAC discusses staff shortage problems at Herkimer College
- Trial begins for man accused of injuring girlfriend's toddler in Rome
- Fire captain killed, 2 others injured in shooting during fire response at Long Beach retirement home
- 'Your Fight is Our Fight': Shirts being sold for local firefighter, paramedic fighting cancer
- DAR Good Citizens Awards
- Governor wants investigation into Puerto Rico response
- Boilermaker motorcycle driver talks race day responsibilities
- Herkimer woman charged after toddler falls from second-story window