UPDATE: Otsego County Sheriff Richard Devlin has provided more details about last night’s double homicide in the town of Laurens.
Devlin says that a relative of the victims called 911 at 8:49 p.m. last night, and responding deputies found two deceased adults, one man and one woman, inside the trailer on New Road in Laurens. The town is located about 15 minutes northwest of Oneonta.
Deputies say the deceased man and woman are related. A man in his 20s is in custody, and Devlin says he is related to the two victims and he lived in the home with them.
Devlin says there was a vehicle missing from the crime scene so they put out a “be on the lookout” notice for the vehicle, and the Scoharie County Sheriff’s Office found it traveling on I-88. Deputies attempted to stop the vehicle but it fled from them and a pursuit ensued.
The driver ended up crashing the vehicle and was then taken into custody, according to Devlin. The man is currently being held in the Otsego County Jail and Devlin says that after consulting with the Otsego County District Attorney’s Office, the Sheriff’s Office plans to charge him with first-degree murder.
The Sheriff’s Office will be holding a press conference at 2:30 p.m. today to release more information.
LAURENS, N.Y. - Otsego County Sheriff Richard Devlin has confirmed they're investigating a double homicide that occurred on New Road in the town of Laurens last night.
Deputies say there was a 911 call around 8:30 p.m. and when deputies arrived at the home on New Road, they found two deceased individuals.
A person of interest was then involved in a high-speed chase that ended with an accident on I-88 near Exit 23, around 10 p.m. The male driver sustained minor injuries and was transported to Bassett Medical Center.
Deputies tell us that they're working on the investigation along with the New York State Police Forensics Team, the Schoharie County Sheriff's Office and the Otsego County District Attorney's Office. They tell us they will release more information later today.
- UPDATE: Otsego County sheriff provides more details on double homicide
- Otsego County 2018 goals
- Conditions in Otsego County
- Otsego County officials discuss investigation into Sheriff's Office
- Otsego County Sheriff's Office seeks missing vulnerable woman
- Developments in investigation of Otsego County Sheriff's son
- Otsego County seeking governmental improvements
- UPDATE: Otsego Street in Ilion reopened
- Flu cases in Oneida Co. more than double Herkimer, Otsego counties combined
- Otsego Co. Sheriff agrees to recuse himself from son's case