The Utica College student accused of making phone threats that caused the college to be on lockdown Monday appeared in Utica City Court Wednesday morning for just two minutes.
Fahrudin Omerovic, 23, is charged with felony making a terroristic threat. Omerovic is a 2013 graduate of Proctor High School who was taking courses at Utica College.
Omerovic is being held at the Oneida County Jail and his bail has been set at $100,000 cash or $250,000 bond.
In court on Wednesday the defense requested to have the bail amount lowered, saying it was an insurmountable amount of money for Omerovic and his family. The judge granted the prosecution’s request and kept bail as is.
Police say Omerovic called in several threats on Monday and Tuesday, using a phone app to alter his voice. Monday’s threats caused the school to go on lockdown, while armed law enforcement went from building to building searching, then evacuating students and staff. Local, state and federal law enforcement were involved.
Omerovic was visibly upset in court, crying toward the end of the proceeding. His parents were also in court and also upset. His father told NEWSChannel 2 that he was completely shocked, and that Omerovic was a “good kid” and never did anything bad.
A felony hearing has been set for Monday, March 12 in Utica City Court. During a felony hearing, witnesses testify and the judge determines if there’s sufficient evidence to turn the case over to a grand jury for possible indictment, or formal charge.
- Utica College student accused of making threats appears briefly in court
- Man accused of making threats against Utica College appears in court
- Utica College student arrested for making threats which caused lockdown
- Trial date set for Utica College student accused of making threats
- Man accused of threatening Utica College appears in court on unrelated charges
- Utica man accused of killing girlfriend's baby appears in court
- Man accused of killing girlfriend in Utica misses court appearance
- Herkimer College student charged with making a terroristic threat
- Utica woman accused of stabbing her mother to death appears in court
- Utica man accused of threatening UC appears in court in identity theft case