Utica, N.Y. - Seventeen-year-old Stefan Medina, a student at Proctor High School in Utica, was a good boy, according to a cousin of his who did not want her identity released as she walked door to door Monday afternoon looking for answers.
The female cousin, who is not much older than Stefan, says she wants justice for her cousin and believes someone in this Elizabeth Street neighborhood knows something that can lead to a suspect.
"I guess his girlfriend lived on Elizabeth, I don’t know too much of what happened. I’m going door-to-door asking anyone I see, if they saw anything, any details of any person that can help identify someone, we just want the person, we want our justice."
Police were called to the 700 block of Elizabeth Street around 8:30 p.m. Sunday. Police say Medina was shot once. Paramedics worked on him, and he was taken to St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica where he was later pronounced dead.
Medina's cousin says her entire family has been shaken.
"He was very kind, sweet, loved his family, he was doing well, going to school."
Utica Police Chief Mark Williams says officers were once again back out in this Elizabeth Street neighborood on Monday talking to people.
"We are currently talking to possible witnesses, going through any available footage, anything that will help us come up with a possible suspect," Williams said. "If anyone has any information about what transpired yesterday, we would appreciate a phone call. Unfortunately it happened, a 17-year-old young male, what a shame."
Williams is asking anyone with any information to call the Utica Police Criminal Investigation Bureau at at (315) 223-3510.
Utica police say this is the seventh homicide of 2018.
- Utica family searching for answers after teen gunned down
- Homeowners still searching for answers in Little Falls explosion
- UPDATE: Missing Frankfort teen found in Utica
- 2 teens charged for allegedly bringing BB gun to Utica Academy of Science
- Utica man facing list of drug charges following apartment search
- Utica police search for driver who hit, killed dog
- UPDATE: Utica Common Council President wants more answers on Downtown Hospital project
- Utica teen charged following police chase with stolen vehicle
- Teen injured in late night shooting in Utica
- Utica police ID teen killed in Elizabeth Street shooting