UTICA – A Utica teen is facing charges after he allegedly led police on a chase with a stolen vehicle and then crashed it, according to the Utica Police Department.
Around 9:58 p.m. Monday, Utica police tried to stop a tan 2015 Ford Focus that had been reported stolen from Rite Aid on Commercial Drive in New York Mills. The driver, later identified as 17-year-old Lauren Smith of Utica, didn’t stop the vehicle and instead led officers on a vehicle pursuit, according to police.
Police say the pursuit began in West Utica and ended when the car was involved in an accident with an unoccupied vehicle parked on the 500 block of Blandina Street.
Police say Smith then fled the scene on foot, and after a brief struggle on the 500 block of Mary Street, officers took Smith into police custody. He was then identified and charged with misdemeanor unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, misdemeanor resisting arrest and several traffic violations.
No injuries were reported in the incident.
- Utica teen charged following police chase with stolen vehicle
- Police investigating vehicle break-ins at Utica College
- Utica police ID teen killed in Elizabeth Street shooting
- UPDATE: Missing Frankfort teen found in Utica
- 2 local men charged after stolen vehicle was stopped on Thruway
- UPDATE: Police call off search for driver of stolen vehicle on State Route 49
- Utica woman accused of using stolen public benefit card
- Police: Utica man deposited stolen check, withdrew funds from CNY to NJ
- Sheriff's office vehicle involved in crash in Utica
- 2 teens charged for allegedly bringing BB gun to Utica Academy of Science