VERONA, NY - Area athletes battled it out on the hardwood Saturday, and it was all for a good cause.
The 4th annual Coaches & Officials vs Cancer took place at V.V.S. High School.
64 teams, both boys and girls, participated in the preseason tournament at the three different courts located throughout the school.
Each team that participated was responsible for raising their own money for the event.
Barry VanDreason, who helped organize the event, says cancer is something that affects everyone.
"There's not a person in here in this school building that hasn't been affected by cancer and that's where we started from. Our national organization asks us every year to donate to the national cancer society, so that's how we started it 4 years ago, how bout we keep it local so we came up with this event and its grown every year and we want to keep the money local in Madison and Oneida county."
All of the officials for the tournament donated their time for the event.
The money raised stays right here to help fight cancer in Central New York.
- VVS hosts 4th Annual Coaches & Officials vs. Cancer
- Lions coach, VVS grad Matt Patricia denies 1996 assault allegation
- Utica College hosts 4th annual Relay for Life
- 4th annual American Red Cross Giving Day
- VVS School works to ease fears, curb misinformation
- Positively Rome holds 4th annual Moonlight Trail Night
- CVA hosts 12th Annual Mott Marathon Challenge
- Colgate cracks top 10 in Coaches vs Cancer 3-Point Challenge
- Tenney virtually meets with VVS middle school students in the classroom
- State Police report no danger after investigating threat at VVS High School