Home Experts on WKTV.com: Blogs
Don't Let Chores Create Stress
Story Updated: May 3, 2012
Don't Let Chores Create Stress (262)
(NewsUSA) - A study performed by the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine reported that men and women who feel they're responsible for most household chores experience higher blood pressure and overall anxiety.
Here are a few tips that can help ease the stress:
1. Plan ahead. Plan your meals a week in advance, and only make one trip to the grocery store for everything on your list. Multiple shopping trips quickly add up.
2. Divide and conquer. Tackle mounting housework one day at a time or one task at a time. Prevent a long stretch of cleaning on Saturday by spending 30 minutes a day on different chores. For example, vacuum on Tuesdays, dust on Wednesdays and clean the bathrooms on Thursdays.
3. Simplify errands. Do you loathe the weekly trip to the store for cleaning supplies and paper products? Make your life simpler and save money by shopping online for essentials. Check out www.dollargeneral.com for items that are a chore to get home. Have big, bulky items and other necessities shipped directly to your door.
4. Check out store brands. You can save a lot of money by trying store brands. Now, private-label products have national equivalent money-back guarantees. Even replacing a few frequently purchased items with their private-label counterparts will result in big savings.
5. Get your family involved in household management. Age-appropriate tasks can be assigned to children. Let older children help prepare dinner, and give younger children simple tasks such as helping set the table. Other simple tasks for children include making their bed and putting away toys.