Tools

Mother charged for leaving four-month old in apartment that caught fire

By WKTV News

FULTON, N.Y. (WKTV) - A mother has been charged after authorities say she left her four-month old child unattended in an apartment that caught fire while she was out buying cigarettes.

According to New York State Police, on August 10, 2011 at roughly 12:56 p.m., area fire departments were dispatched to a structure fire at the Chateau West Apartment complex on West 11th Street in Fulton.

State Police responded after it was learned that a four-month old child had been left unattended within the apartment when the fire started.

The investigation revealed that the child's mother - Rebecca E. Mabie, 25, of the residence - had left her apartment, leaving her four month old son sleeping unattended on the living room couch.

Mabie had apparently left the apartment on foot to buy cigarettes from a subject within the apartment complex. While Mabie was away, a neighbor observed smoke coming from Mabie's apartment and took action by entering and removing the four-month old before the apartment became fully engulfed.

The fire has not been labeled as suspicious at this time and appears to have started in the kitchen area.

Mabie has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child. She was issued an appearance ticket, returnable to the Town of Granby Court on August 15, 2011 at 7 p.m.

The State Police and the Oswego County Department of Social Services are continuing their investigation.

What's On