UTICA, N.Y. - The New State Education Commissioner has announced that 17 school districts, including the Utica City School District, and charter schools have been awarded grants under the Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness (STLE) program.
Utica City School Superintendent Bruce Karam has said the district will receive $3.8 million from the grants.
The state awarded the grants to school districts that got their teacher evaluation plans in place before the scheduled deadline. The money has already been worked into the Utica School District's budget and has been used to restore jobs.
Another 32 applicants have received qualifying scores required for funding but do not yet have approved Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) plans.
STLE grants are targeted to support school districts and charter schools utilizing, as part of their implementation of an APPR plan, a comprehensive approach to recruitment, development, support, retention and equitable distribution of effective teachers and school leaders.
The following school districts are fundable applicants with an Approved APPR Plan
- Binghamton City School District
- Canisteo-Greenwood Central School District
- Cheektowaga Central School District
- Fort Ann Central School District
- Freeport Union Free School District
- Mt. Morris Central School District
- Newfane Central School District
- United Free Schools of the Tarrytowns
- Rochester City School District
- Rotterdam-Mohonasen Central School District
- Syracuse City School District
- Union-Endicott Central School District
- Utica City School District
- Watervliet City School District
- West Babylon Union Free School District
- Wheatland-Chili Central School District
- Williamson Central School District
The following are fundable applicants without an Approved APPR Plan, which means they have achieved the minimum required score for funding, but have not received an award notification because as stated in the Questions and Answers document, the preliminary notification of award letters "will be sent out on a rolling basis as the Program Office staff receives notification from the APPR Review Team of an eligible applicant's APPR plan approval. Applicants should not communicate directly with the Program Office regarding the status of their APPR plans; the APPR Review Team will do this. Preliminary award notification will not be given to the applicant until the Program Office receives notification from the APPR Review Team of an applicant's APPR Plan Approval. If APPR plans are not approved by January 17, 2013, the application(s) will be rejected and will not receive funding."
- Alden Central School District
- Brasher Falls Central School District
- Cambridge Central School District
- Central Square Central School District
- Chatham Central School District
- Clyde-Savannah Central School District
- Coxsackie-Athens Central School District
- Duanesburg Central School District
- Gates Chili Central School District
- Greece Central School District
- Greenville Central School District
- Hicksville Union Free School District
- Hudson City School District
- Huntington Union Free School District
- Island Park Union Free School District
- John W. Lavelle Preparatory Charter School
- Long Beach City School District
- Lyons Central School District
- Mayfield Central School District
- Middleburgh Central School District
- Monticello Central School District
- New World Preparatory Charter School
- New York City Department of Education
- North Rose-Wolcott Central School District
- Ogdensburg City School District
- Ossining Union Free School District
- Palmyra-Macedon Central School District
- Patchogue-Medford Union Free School District
- Red Creek Central School District
- South Huntington Union Free School District
- William Floyd School District Union Free School District
- Wyandanch Union Free School District
According a news release, non-award notifications have been sent to applicants that did not receive the minimum 65 points needed for an award and ineligibility notifications have been sent to applicants that were determined to be ineligible.