UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV) - The Utica man who started the campaign to recall Utica Mayor David Roefaro says he has decided to end his bid to do so.
It was back on June 22nd, when William Newell began collecting signatures for a petition to recall Roefaro. Newell at the time, stating he believed Roefaro was hiring and promoting family and friends. The mayor has stood by every hire and promotion he has made.
Today, William Newell says a person he had trusted to collect petitions in his recall campaign, Susan Arcuri of Utica, has made this "an ego ridden personal attack campaign."
Earlier this week we reported that Newell and Arcuri had gone their separate ways, and had decided to have two separate campaigns to recall the Mayor.
Well, now Newell is denouncing any efforts by Susan Arcuri and actually wants to repair his relationship with Mayor Roefaro.
Susan Arcuri told NEWSChannel 2 on Saturday, "without the necessary number of signatures, we couldn't file the petition, so we were best to keep going and that's what we will do...I have nothing to say about Mr. Newell, but our recall campaign continues and i believe we will be successful."
Also late Saturday afternoon, Mayor David Roefaro released this statement to NEWSChannel 2..."I am glad to see that Mr. Newell has the best interest of the city at heart. This has been my goal all along and I welcome any input he or any other citizen wants to offer our administration. Our doors are always open and I would be happy to meet with Mr. Newell and anyone else, because I truly mean it when I say, "we're in this together."