The benefit event Sunday for the victims and their families following those tragic shootings brought hundreds to Herkimer County.
The event had grown so much since it was announced that it had to be split among two locations - music and food at the Mohawk Legion and a Chinese Auction at Francesca's in Ilion.
Francesca Magro, owner of Francesca's, says that businesses and people from throughout the community were dropping off items for the auction day and night last week.
"It exceeded everyone's expectations," Magro said. "We didn't know what to expect, and it was just overwhelming. There's not words to really describe it. It was just. It was beautiful. It was a time for everyone to come together. There was a lot of emotions arising."
Packages were donated both closed to home and from across the country. With such a turnout, organizer say it will likely take several days to go through all the drawings and determine the winners.
However, by Monday afternoon, organizers did have a short list of winners of the 'big ticket' items from the Chinese Auction:
- 50" TV Donated by: NYSCOPBA Inc. - Winner- Mary Iocovozzi
- Pizza Hut 1-Pizza/Week for 1 Year- Winner- Mary Iocovozzi
- 2013 Year Membership to Newport Golf Course - Winner- Jack Sterling
- 1998 Vintage Dom Perignon donated by Gary Outtrim - Winner - Anthony McGraw
- Recliner donated by Carls Furniture - Winner - Maggie Warenczak
Ed View, one of the organizers of the event says that if you won any of the prizes, be they the big-ticket items or otherwise, all prizes must be picked up by Wednesday.