UPDATE Mr. McGill's in Schuyler a total loss officials say
(WKTV) - On Friday, popular restaurant and nightspot Mr. McGill's was advertising a dance party.
By Monday morning, a good portion of the building was gone after an early-morning fire.
Fire crews are calling it a total loss. While the intense flames lasted only an hour and a half, crews were on the scene for more than six hours putting out hot spots in frigid temperatures.
Flames ripped through the building that houses popular restaurant and nightspot Mr . McGill's and neighboring DePalma's Pizza. John Scholl, assistant fire chief, says the building is a total loss for both businesses. When crews arrived around 4 a.m., the building was engulfed in flames.
"Flames were coming out the front window and through the roof," Scholl said.
Another major issue in fighting the fire -- frigid temperatures. Several fire companies were called for backup in case of issues getting water on the flames.
"It got snowy and very cold," Scholl said.
Heavy equipment was brought in to sift through the rubble as the Herkimer County Cause and Origin team worked to uncover what sparked the fire.