Crews get woman out of house after fire in Village of Madison

By WKTV News

MADISON, N.Y. (WKTV) - Shortly after 1 p.m. on Tuesday, the Madison Fire Department was called to the scene of a structure fire on Route 20 in the Village of Madison.

When crews arrived on the scene, they found heavy smoke coming from the roof and chimney of the house and a woman who was refusing to leave the premises.

With the help of Madison Rescue and the Morrisville Fire Department, crews were able to safely get the woman out and keep the fire confined to the chimney and a wood boiler in the basement of the home.

Fire officials are now reminding residents to make sure their chimneys and stoves are clean and ready to go before using them.

"This is the time of year people start up their wood stoves, pellet stoves, and sometimes the maintenance kind of goes unchecked and it's pretty important to check on wood stoves and chimneys," said Madison Fire Chief Steven Johnson.

Chief Johnson warns that if there is a crack in your chimney, a fire could spread to the rest of your house.

What's On