Eight departments needed to battle Boonville blaze
BOONVILLE, N.Y. (WKTV) - It took eight fire departments several hours to extinguish a massive fire at an apartment building on Main Street in Boonville. The fire at 167 Main Street started around 2:30 Thursday morning. Officials tell NEWSChannel 2 the blaze originated in the first floor because of a cigarette on a mattress inside of the building. The fire also spread to an adjacent building. No human lives were lost in the fire. The American Red Cross has been called in to help the 29 displaced residents. Some pets were killed, according to officials on the scene. Boonville Fire Chief Dave Pritchard said that the biggest challenge was getting enough water to the scene. They had to relay water from the nearby Black River Canal. Companies from Stittville, Remsen, Constableville, Westernville, Forestport, West Leyden and Floyd were called to help Boonville.