Homeowner's quick action helps firefighters battle fire

By WKTV News

DEERFIELD, N.Y. (WKTV) - Fire crews responded to a fire in the Town of Deerfield just after 1:30 Friday morning, but it was the quick action of the homeowner that kept the fire from spreading further than it did.

Deerfield's fire chief says it started from embers in the ash box of the fireplace in the basement of the home.

The two residents who live at the home were awake.

One of the residents used a small fire extinguisher to battle the flames, while the other called for help.

Both were able to make it out of the home unharmed, but the home sustained heavy damage to the floor joists and the walls.

The chief says the residents will not be able to move back into the home until the floors are fixed.

Fire crews were able to put the fire out in 20 minutes, but stayed on the scene until a little after 4 a.m. making sure the fire was out in the walls and joists.

The residents are staying with friends.

What's On