Family makes it out safely from Herkimer fire, but dog lost in blaze

By WKTV News

HERKIMER, N.Y. (WKTV) - A fire in Herkimer had crews busy overnight. Officials say it sparked when someone fell asleep while preparing food.

The call came in just after midnight for a fire on Farber Lane.

When crews arrived, they say the first floor of the home was on fire.

Everyone was able to make it out of the home safely, but a family pet was not able to make it out.

Also, one firefighter was hurt after a minor fall outside the house. He was treated and released from a local hospital.

We're told there's significant heat and water damage to the home.

What's On