Wednesday, October 1, 2014

News
Faulty electrical switch sparked fire at Boys and Girls Club
By WKTV News


UTICA, N.Y. (WKTV) - Fire officials say the cause of the fire at the Boys and Girls Club in Utica on Friday was electrical in nature. The Fire Marshall says the fire started in an electrical switch in the first floor locker room.

Crews were called to the scene at 9:36 a.m. Friday morning at 755 Lansing Street. Heavy smoke could be seen visible from the first floor of the structure. The fire was contained to locker room and was under control in less than ten minutes.

Fire Marshall Gerald Foster says the fire sparked inside an electrical switch and spread to other combustible materials that were in the room. The fire spread throughout the interior walls of the room with little damage beyond that. Minor water and smoke damage was noted throughout the first floor.

The building was empty when the fire started. The Boys and Girls Club was closed for the day on Friday.