Current Temp 25.0 °F
Wind : from the West at 13.8 gusting to 23.0 MPH (12 gusting to 20 KT)
Humidity : 58 %
Pressure : 1021.4 mb
Fire Chief: Portable heater may have started Western house blaze
WESTERN, N.Y. (WKTV) - A portable heater may have started the fire that destroyed a home in the Town of Western Saturday night.
According to Western Fire Chief Mike Anania, the fire started inside the attached porch, where the heater was. There were also propane tanks nearby on the porch.
The blaze erupted on Hillside Road around 4:30 Saturday afternoon. The home was fully engulfed when crews arrived.
Chief Anania says the two grandsons of the owner did not realized he was not home and started breaking windows yelling for him to come out. That caused extra oxygen to enter the home and helped the fire spread quickly.
It took crews from Western, Boonville and West Leyden about an hour and twenty minutes to bring the fire under control.
The home is a total loss and the investigation continues.